Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blogging for Glory?

Maybe it is a weird personality quirk, but whenever someone starts up a blog or revamps an old one, I always think, "Hmm..what massive truth to they plan to unearth for us now?" Perhaps it's because it a secret thought in my own heart. Or perhaps it's because I typically hate trying to read materials published by my peers. And something about free web publishing smacks of amateur..
At any rate, I find my own self trying to return to blogging, which in turn causes me to question my motives. I had constructed a mental list of the pros and cons of messing with my blog again. The pros looking something like:

1. I need to do what I can to try to share encouraging thoughts with others
2. I need to try to "fan into flame" any gift God has given me (no matter how humble or in how small a portion)
3. I need to look like I am doing something important when I am sitting Starbucks with all the hotshots toting their macs..
4. All good evangelical pastors (or evangelical pastor wannabe's) have a blog to share all their massive theological discoveries with the thirsty flock.

My list of cons was much easier to construct. It went something like:

1. I hate reading people's blogs. It's not like any of them have anything to say that I don't know anyway.
2. The internet is flooded with mediocre literature. Why be a part of the problem?
3. I am so lazy. There is no way in the world I can keep it up.
4. All the cool people on macs seem to be editing photos. Maybe I just need to get into photography instead...

At the end of the day, I decided to try to revamp it. Not because I think any of my ideas are particularly profound or insightful, but because it helps me personally to try to express ideas and thoughts in writing. And God is gracious, so somewhere along the line it may prove helpful to somebody. God calls us in all things to love Him and bring Him glory, including in our minds and strength. My hope is that if nothing else, some of the thoughts can stimulate helpful thought or study and would be a genuine help. And all my super-spiritual friends have blogs so I needed to catch up. It makes me feel less guilty for not reading theirs if I think that they probably aren't reading mine. It's a very complicated mind game..

My prayer is that God would be glorified with everything, and that it might all be done to and through Him to show His goodness and His glory. Even in a poorly formatted, super-free amateur blogspot. Soli Deo Gloria

No comments:

Post a Comment